Everything you need to know about graduation! The Graduation Department will open on March 5th, 2014 for Spring Graduation.
Get a FREE Class of 2014 tee with your invitation order! Order a Co-op Grad Pack or any customized graduation invitation package by March 16th to receive your free tee.
Just enter your tee size in the Order Comments. Tees will be an adult/unisex long-sleeve tee made of 100% pre-shrunk cotton.
A checklist of everything a graduating student needs!
- Apply to graduate and walk in the commencement ceremonies. These deadlines come early each semester, so please be sure to contact your college in order to verify the application deadline.
- Send out your invitations or announcements! This is a great, as well as rewarding, way to announce your success to your family and friends. Invitation orders usually are ready in 3-5 business days.
- Order your cap & gown!
- Bachelors students must order by May 9, 2014
- Masters students must order by May 2, 2014
- Doctoral students must order by March 21, 2014 for purchases or April 4, 2014 for rentals.
- Book your portrait appointment. Our portrait studio books very quickly, so do not wait to schedule your appointment!
- Pick up your ceremony tickets.
- Most graduation ceremonies do not require tickets for guests. However, please visit www.utexas.edu/commencement to find out if your ceremony does require guest tickets.
- During the spring semester, students who plan to attend the University-wide Commencement Ceremony must pick up a ticket. These tickets are typically available the week before graduation and are only required for students participating in the outdoor, University-wide fireworks festival. Tickets are not required for guests.
- Plan your graduation weekend & party. Austin is a busy city the weekend of graduation, so be sure to book your restaurants, hotels and other party needs well in advance. It’s a great idea to send your visiting family and friends tips for getting around Austin.
- www.utexas.edu/commencement has useful information about graduation weekend festivities, parking, services for guests with disabilities, and other detailed information for graduating students.
- Decorate your cap! It is a fun way to help your family spot you in the crowd!
- Update your address & contact information with the University. Make sure you receive your diploma and any other future correspondence at the correct location.
Let your family and friends know about your achievement! Even if you don't want to attend commencement, it's a good idea to let your family know that you have finally joined the proud population of UT alumni!
- Our invitations and announcements are printed-to-order with your personalized information - you can highlight your degree, your minors, and any other special achievements!
- Typically, orders are ready within 3-5 business days. We offer two different types of paper; both varieties will have matching double envelopes and accessories.
- Beginning in March, place your order online or visit the Graduation Department located on the lower level at the Co-op Main Store.
- Tip: We recommend checking with your family before placing your order. Family members typically have a long list of friends to whom they want to send invitations or announcements!
Invitation and Announcement Etiquette:
- Invitations should be mailed out early enough to arrive at least 2 weeks before the graduation ceremony. We recommend, for those graduating students who have family and friends traveling from out of town, to mail out the invitations earlier if possible.
- Announcements are another great option for students who won’t be participating in their ceremony or who prefer not to have a big celebration in Austin. Announcements may be mailed out at any time and are frequently sent out later in the semester.
- We’ll include directions for putting together your invitations with your order. Here are tips for addressing your invitations:
- On the outer envelope (where the address & stamp will be placed), address the recipient formally in the address block. For example: “Mr. & Mrs. David Smith”
- On the inner envelope (the keepsake envelope), address the recipient as you would in person. For example: “Uncle David & Aunt Sue”
- The gold foil seal should be used to close the inner envelope and the return address label should be placed on the outer envelope.
|As a bonus when you order your invitations from the Co-op, you will receive the much-loved Lifetime Longhorn Membership – a card that will give you a 10% off discount to the Co-op, for LIFE!|
Caps & Gowns
Students receiving their bachelors degree are required to wear a black cap and bachelors gown, a satin stole in the color of the their college, and a tassel in the color of their college. This is available for purchase in the Graduation Department or can be ordered online. The deadline for purchasing a bachelors cap and gown is typically one week prior to the actual graduation ceremony.
Students receiving their masters degree are required to wear a black cap and masters gown (which has different sleeves from a bachelors gown), a velveteen hood in the color of their degree, and a tassel in the color of their degree. This is available for purchase in the Graduation Department or can be ordered online. The deadline for order masters caps and gowns is typically two weeks prior to the actual graduation ceremony.
In 2010, we began selling eco-friendly bachelors & masters caps and gowns that are made out of 100% post-consumer recycled plastic water bottles. The new gowns are softer and cooler than our previous fabric gowns and made entirely in the USA. Each year, UT students keep 200,000 plastic water bottles of the landfills with these gowns.Keep the eco-friendly momentum by recycling your gown after graduation. Drop off your gown at the Co-op after graduation, and we’ll send it back to our manufacturer, where it is broken down and recycled into other green products. As a bonus, we’ll give you a 20% coupon on your next purchase!
Doctoral Caps & Gowns
Thank goodness you’re getting an advanced degree! You practically need one to weigh through the variety of doctoral regalia options. As a starting point, there are two basic styles available for graduating students.
UT's Official Doctoral Regalia:
Designed by the University in 2005, this rich sable-colored regalia can be worn only by doctoral graduates from the University of Texas at Austin. This gown is a Madison-style gown featuring two embroidered, gold towers on the front lapel. The hood has matching sable-colored velvet and is lined with rich Texas Orange and white satin. A sable-colored tam with a gold metallic tassel and two pins complete the ensemble.
Traditional Doctoral Regalia:
This option includes a black doctoral robe, a velvet hood, and either a velvet tam or mortarboard. With traditional regalia, the hood will denote your specific type of doctoral degree. For example, all PhDs will have dark blue velvet on their hoods, regardless of specialty. Traditional regalia may be worn by doctorates from any university. The hood will highlight what school you graduated from – the satin lining will be the colors of your alma mater. UT graduates will have Texas Orange and white satin lining in their hoods.
Graduating students may choose to purchase or rent either style of doctoral regalia, there are several options and variations. Check out our Doctoral Regalia Ordering Guide for more information on each option. You can also drop by the Co-op Graduation Department to see samples and receive a consultation from one of our graduation experts. We can help you choose the best option for your needs.
Our most frequently asked questions
- Help! I didn’t realize I had graduation deadlines and I haven’t ordered any of my supplies!
- We’re always here for you! We will try our hardest to get you what you need in time for your ceremony. Order online or drop by the store to submit your order right away.
- I’ve got my cap and gown from high school, can I wear that? How do I get the satin stole and tassel?
- The bachelor’s gown is a traditional black gown, so your high school gown should be similar. You are welcome to purchase the stole and tassel separately on our website or drop by the store.
- What do I need to know to order my graduation gear?
- For your cap and gown, you only need to know your height. For invitations, you should know what degree you are receiving, you can look up your ceremony time & location on the www.utexas.edu/commencement website.