Longhorn Football With Quan Cosby - Week 2

09/09/2015 0

Longhorn Football With Quan Cosby

Hey great Longhorn fans! I'm back with a recap of Notre Dame and a look forward to Saturday's game vs Rice.

Prime time has not been good for the Longhorns. For some reason, the bigger the stage, the more this group struggles. I think there is a lack of leadership from players. There are a couple of guys trying (Johnathan Grey and a few freshman), but there has to be one in every position. There needs to be someone to rally their unit and make plays for the team. Especially in the trenches. When you can control the line of scrimmage, good things happen.

The only positives I saw on Saturday were from true freshman Malik Jefferson and Naashon Hughes. Jefferson was flying around the ball and making plays against a good football team. He wasn't perfect but I love the energy. Hughes played a very disciplined game and got hosed on the horse collar call.

The Notre Dame trip was really fun. I went to a Cubs game and got goose bumps singing "The Eyes of Texas" with thousands of other Longhorn fans who made the trip.

Rice finished last season strong winning their bowl game. Last weekend Rice beat the Wagner Seahawks 56-16. The Longhorns need to respect them and do all they can to prepare. At some point this play has to get old for the players. When that happens we should see a better product.

Each week I’ll be answering six questions from fans. You can participate using #AskQuan6 on Twitter or by commenting below.

Here are this week's questions.

1. Did you have a pregame ritual?

I only had one thing I did consistently before games. The night before I talked to my great friend and pastor about life and the game and he prayed for me. I did it my entire career going back to high school.

2. Heard or Swoopes for quarterback?

Of course I trust the guys that see the players a lot more than me (the coaching staff). In my opinion the defense respects Heard as a runner. Notre Dame had to read more with Heard in the game knowing he has the wheels and moves to make big plays.

3. Favorite class you took at UT?

I'm a social work graduate. I really enjoyed studying people's behaviors. In our world it's extremely hard for people to put themselves in other's shoes. I feel people are way too judgmental without knowing people's story.

4. What advice would you give to Longhorn football players?

Winning is a habit, so is losing. The definition of insanity is doing the same things and expecting different results. You have to do something different. It’s time to look in the mirror and recognize what you are or aren't doing and make a change. 

5. What advice would you give to Coach Strong

It’s time to see what the issues are in the rough offensive performance and adjust scheme to what you have to work with.

6. What is your favorite place to eat in Austin?

Eddie V's has great food and an awesome atmosphere. If we’re talking just breakfast I’d have to go with Kerbey Lane.

Tune in next week as I recap the Texas Longhorn's game and answer your questions

Hook 'Em!