UT Senior Spotlights: Advice for New Longhorns & Favorite Memories

UT Senior Spotlights: Advice for New Longhorns & Favorite Memories

05/15/2015 0

UT Senior Spotlight: Kori Rady

UT Senior Kori Rady

Major:

Government and Corporate Communication  |  Honors Program Polymathic Scholars

Advice:

Get involved in at least two organizations during your time on campus. This will give you a great experience outside the classroom that can teach you a lot of life lessons that you would never gain academically.

Favorite Memory 

My favorite memory... So many! From winning the OU game to meeting all kinds of famous athletes and alumni it is hard to pick just one.

UT Senior Spotlight: Johanna Zambrano 

Major:

Public Relations

Favorite memory: 

My favorite memory was my freshman year when we played Texas A&M for the last time. It was such a close game and Justin Tucker came in real clutch and won that game for us! I was so excited and I've never felt so proud to be a Texas Longhorn! Hook 'em!

Advice:

Involve yourself in campus activities! There are over 1,000 student organizations and there is bound to be one with your interests. I joined Christian Students on Campus and Texas Lassos and it's where I made all of my close friends. Best decision, hands down!

UT Senior Spotlight: Brian Lau

Major:

Computer Science 

Best part of UT:

The football games are insane. You haven't experienced UT until you have cheered for the UT Longhorn football team at the Darrel K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Plus, you get free Pluckers if we win!

Advice:

In high school, the teachers tended to hold your hand through all the homework and due dates. In college, the professors post the assignments (often for the whole semester) and expect you stay on top of things. It's really easy to sleep through an exam or forget about an assignment, so buy a planner or use an app to stay organized. It also helps to visit your professors during their office hours; a majority of the time nobody ever shows up to their office hours so they'll appreciate the company.

UT Senior Spotlight: Georgia Mitchell

Georgia Mitchell

Hometown:

Bowie, MD

Major:

Marketing 

Favorite memory:

My favorite memory at UT was at the end of an extremely difficult semester. My friends and I stayed out all night and watched the sunrise together. It made me appreciate having a great group of friends out here in Texas and how beautiful UT’s campus and Austin truly are. 

Advice:

Join a variety of organizations, and be sure to be a part of at least one that will help you develop professionally, and then one where everyone shares a common passion. Also, I recommend finding a mentor. This can be an upperclassman, professor, TA, or anyone you can go to for advice about college, career, and life. I was fortunate enough to find a few through my business fraternity and am extremely grateful for that. Don’t sweat the small stuff and take advantage of attending this amazing university. Hook ‘em!

UT Senior Spotlight: Chris Alley

Hometown:

El Paso, TX

Major:

Viola Performance

Advice:

Don't spread yourself too thin. It's tempting to join every student org and club that shares your interests, but it's hard to keep up with those meetings as well as your classes. When you feel more accustomed to the academic demands of UT you can branch out more and find the organizations that will enrich your college experience.

Favorite part of UT:

My classes in the music school were small, about twenty people or less, but I experienced large lecture classes for the core curriculum. I feel like I got the best of both worlds and didn't feel lost at this large university.

UT Senior Spotlight: Darice Chavira

Hometown:

Spring Branch, TX

Major:

Journalism

Advice:

Get involved as much as you can on campus! With the various organizations I've joined at UT, I have gained many friendships that will last a lifetime. Not only will joining student orgs allow you to hang out with people of similar interests, but it is also a great networking opportunity when you start looking for jobs in the future. (It really is all about who you know!) Also, remember to cherish every moment you have on the 40 acres. Soak in every trip to the PCL, the sounds of the tower ringing when walking to class, and chanting "Texas Fight" at the top of your lungs at football games. Time really does fly, so make the most of it!

Favorite moment:

This is a tough one for sure! However a moment that always makes my heart smile was attending Gone To Texas. I have never felt so welcomed and it was such an awesome moment to soak in knowing that UT was now my new home. Hearing President Powers say, "The Eyes of Texas are now upon you" brought tears to my eyes of pure joy and it brought a sense of accomplishment. It's definitely a moment I'll remember for years to come.