More than a store

The University Co-op is a 501(c)(3)nonprofit supporting student success and faculty initiatives at The University of Texas at Austin with 100% of the profits from our retail business and the generosity of our customers.

We dedicate

100% of our profits

to support student success.

How we support student success...



Awards

Awards

Each year we award over $70K to students and faculty for academic excellence and research.

Events

Events

Each spring The Co-op sponsors the University Fashion Group fashion show; the largest student-run fashion show in the nation.

Funding

Funding

The Co-op gives over $25K to help student organizations achieve their goals every year. Apply for student organization funding for Fall 2019 here.

Discounts

Discounts

Students save 5% on most purchases, including textbooks, every day with The Co-op Membership Program.

Scholarship

Scholarships

The University Co-op supports completion scholarships that are awarded at varying amounts to current students to facilitate timely graduation.

We also...



...saved students over $2.6 million on course materials in 2018-19!



...hired over 200 students last year!



...provided students with real-world business experience gaining internships!



Our History


The University Co-op was founded in 1896 by Dr. William J. Battle, a professor of the Greek language who later served as president of The University of Texas at Austin from 1914 to 1916. The original store opened on campus — it was located in the University’s Main Building--with books, stationery and athletic goods, and the intent was to sell its products to students at the lowest possible prices.



Twenty-two years later the Co-op moved off campus to a one-story building on Guadalupe across from the Student Union Center. The Co-op remained a co-operative until 1977, when it became a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit educational corporation owned by the students, faculty and staff of The University of Texas at Austin. Through different locations and meeting the ever-changing needs of students and faculty, the Co-op has stayed true to its original idea and mission.



The University Co-op’s support of the University dates back to 1911 when the Co-op contributed $10,000 to complete the construction of Gregory Gym. Since then, the Co-op has supported various projects and organizations around campus including Athletics, School of Social Works’ Utopia Theatre, Co-op Fine Arts Student Center among others.

Want to join our team?



SEE ALL POSITIONS